Extreme Community Makeover
Contact Person:Ms. Angela Bomgaars phone: 7202358847
Agency Description:Extreme Community Makeover coordinates volunteer teams to partner with underserved people to improve their own homes and neighborhoods. These projects build safer environments; cultivate community among residents, neighborhoods, and networks of local resource providers; and connect residents to a permanent path towards healthy, hopeful, and stable lives.
Organization Type:Diversity | Economic Development, Poverty and/or homelessness | Politics and/or Community Organizing |
Opportunities:Extreme Teams |
Extreme TeamsDescription: Extreme Teams provide a volunteer opportunity that focus on specific target areas during Extreme Community Makeover (ECM) Work Days. There are ten unique teams, which are described in more detail below. The Program Team is more task-oriented, while the Strategy Team is more relational-oriented.
Program Team • Logistics: The Logistics Team will facilitate the Work Days running as smoothly and efficiently as possible. Focus areas include checking in volunteers as they arrive, selling merchandise, making sure liability forms are completed, preparing for lunch, cleaning up after lunch, and helping with any other tasks that arise during the Work Days.
• Photography: The Photography Team will share stories visually and create memories from the Work Days for residents and volunteers through photos. These photos will be used for the website, blog posts, print materials, and social media, as well as personalized postcards for residents and volunteers.
• Projects: The Projects Team will serve as a resource for ensuring projects are completed to the best of everyone’s ability. Focus areas include distributing yard signs to identify homes where projects are taking place, managing the dumpster and trash/debris removal, and answering project related questions that arise from volunteers and Project Leaders.
• Video: The Video Team will tell stories that happen through Work Days, as well as share goals of the organization through videos. These videos will be used for the website, blog posts, social media, and other types of communication and marketing, as well as special events.
Strategy Team • Communications: The Communications Team will engage residents and volunteers in conversations during Work Days in order to learn about their experience. After each Work Day, the team member will put together a blog post to share online and on social media in order to tell stories of what happens through the Work Days.
• Follow-Up: The Follow-Up Team will connect residents with available resources in their community through sharing resource packets that highlight programs and services available through partner organizations.
• Fundraising: The Fundraising Team will fill focus on events. During the Work Days, the team will jump in wherever needed to help the day run smoothly and to cover shifts at the Command Center. The team will also assist with fundraising events throughout the year.
• Neighborhood: The Neighborhood Team will connect people in the neighborhoods where ECM works in order to encourage people to get to know more of their neighbors. Team members reside in the neighborhoods where ECM works. Focus areas also include getting the word out about future Work Days and making connections for projects for future Work Days.
• Supplies: The Supplies Team will check in with volunteer groups to make sure they have the supplies needed to complete their projects on Work Days, while monitoring the inventory of available supplies at the Command Center and toolshed. Team members will also develop relationships with businesses that can provide project supplies at discounted prices or at no cost.
• Survey: The Survey Team will facilitate communication between English and Spanish speakers during Work Days, since team members are bilingual. This team is also part of the Survey Day, which begins the process of initiating conversations to identify projects for future Work Days.
Requirements for volunteers: The expectation for members of the Extreme Teams is to attend four (4) team meetings during the course of the calendar year and to sign up for a minimum of three (3) Work Days.
Number of Volunteers Needed: 25
Time Commitment: Ongoing Event
Instructions for Registering for this Opportunity: Contact Angela Bomgaars at: firstname.lastname@example.org Or follow this link to our website: http://www.extremecommunitymakeover.org/extremeteams
Availability: Weekday - No | Weekend: Yes | Morning: No | Evening: No | Afternoon: No
Expires on: December 31 2019
Is Public Transportation Available: No