The Park People
Contact Person:Ms. Leah Schafer phone: 303.722.6262
Agency Description:The Park People works to preserve, enhance, and advocate for Denver’s parks, recreation resources, open space and urban forest.
Organization Type:Environment and Animal Rights |
Opportunities:Denver Digs Trees Distribution Week Opportunities |
Denver Digs Trees Distribution Week OpportunitiesDescription: Our big annual Denver Digs Trees distribution day is happening on Sat. April 21st. There are a number of fun and exciting ways folks can be involved that day, and also throughout the surrounding week. Depending on the size of your group, some of these may be a better fit than others. Here's an overview of various opportunities:
• Tree Unloading Day - Weds April 18th from 8am to ~4pm. On this exciting day, over 1,000 new trees arrive from the nurseries and we need all the help we can get to unload them from trucks and organize them at our two distribution locations: City Park and Sloan's Lake. Free snacks and good karma included!
• Early Pick-Up Day - Fri April 20th from 7:30am to 10:30am. Volunteers help staff a mini pre-distribution for applicants who are unable to pick up their trees on Sat. Diggers (volunteer planting crews) will also be picking up their trees to get a jump start on their planting routes the next morning. Let the games begin!
• Denver Digs Trees Distribution Day - Sat April 21st from 7am to ~noon. Almost better that Christmas... this day hundreds of excited Denver residents come to pick up their shiny new trees and plant them in the community. It's so fulfilling to help send a virtual forest of baby trees out to their new homes!
o Volunteers fill a variety of on-site roles at both distribution sites (City Park and Sloan's Lake) to make sure everyone leaves with the right tree(s), plenty of mulch, planting & care info, and a smile on their face. Free snacks and good karma included!
o Volunteer Digger Crews are also dispatched across the entire city to help deliver and plant trees for applicants who are physically unable to do so themselves. These crews are comprised of a volunteer crew leader (training provided) and their diggers; each crew will be provided with a route of clustered planting addresses, instructions, and tools if they need them. Training is provided.
• Denver Digs Trees Yard and Fruit Tree Sale - Sat April 21st from 11am to ~4pm. In conjunction with distribution day, we are also pleased to host our annual tree sale offering a variety of fruiting, flowering, and shade trees at both distribution sites. These trees are available on a first-come, first-served basis and anyone is welcome to come shop this sale regardless of where they live. It's a great opportunity for non Denver residents to get discounted trees and for people to choose from additional tree species for planting on private property. Volunteers will fill a variety of on-site roles and help us clean up after the sale concludes.
• Denver Digs Trees Extension Sales on Sun April 22nd - 12:30pm to 4:30pm and Mon April 23rd - 7:45am to 10:15am. No trees left behind! After distribution day, we host Extension Tree Sales at City Park in order to find homes for any unclaimed trees that remain after the big day. We will also have a certain number of fruit and flowering trees available. Tree handlers and cashiers needed.
Requirements for volunteers: Some activities are manual labor and require the ability to lift/carry trees
Number of Volunteers Needed: 100
Time Commitment: One Time Event
Instructions for Registering for this Opportunity: Sign up to plant trees here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScxG7pDQ8m8pr-hD0EYSY7QmPZyxGteNdmwBqT7XAhnxaofHw/viewform Sign up for other distribution week activities here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeJ6Hm3iOXzZurDQ-E-W_IPxapaADWCZH1GLH8eXAhr6gq9Og/viewform
Availability: Weekday - Yes | Weekend: Yes | Morning: Yes | Evening: No | Afternoon: Yes
Expires on: April 21 2018
Is Public Transportation Available: No